Drug & Alcohol Policy

Employee Drug and Alcohol Policy

Carroll College prohibits the unauthorized use, possession, manufacture, distribution, dispensation, or sale of controlled substances or alcohol by its employees on Carroll College property, as a part of its activities, or in the performance of an employee’s duties, except as noted below. “Unauthorized” includes without limitation, the manufacture, distribution or sale of alcohol, and possession, use, manufacture, distribution, dispensation or sale of controlled substances, at any time during an employee’s working hours or on College property, except as noted below. Reporting to work under the influence of controlled substances or alcohol is prohibited. “Under the influence” is defined without limitation as being impaired or intoxicated by alcohol or controlled substances, smelling of alcohol or controlled substances, or appearing disheveled or unkempt, slurring one’s speech, being argumentative, or being incapable of performing his/her job satisfactorily, when such conduct is reasonably related to an employee’s use of alcohol or controlled substances. Further, the employee must be able to perform work in a condition that presents a favorable public image and contributes to a climate of safety and well being for the employee, faculty, staff, students, and the public. Moderate use of alcohol at Carroll-approved meetings, or at Carroll-sponsored events or activities is not prohibited by this policy. Moderate use of alcohol during a traditional lunch break in the employee’s working hours and off College property is also not prohibited by this policy. All employees are responsible for their compliance with local, state and federal laws.

Violations of this policy will result in disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment, or referral for prosecution or other legal consequences. Depending on the circumstances, an employee who violates the provisions of this policy relating to controlled substances may be required to satisfactorily participate in a drug abuse rehabilitation program as an alternative to termination and as a condition for continued employment.

Compliance with Carroll College’s Drug and Alcohol policy is a condition of continued employment. It is also a condition of continued employment that any employee convicted of any criminal drug statute based on conduct occurring in the workplace must notify the Office of Human Resources no later than five working days after such conviction. Such notification does not prohibit Carroll College from taking disciplinary action against the employee for violating this policy.

Carroll College will make a good faith effort to comply with the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988 by reviewing the policies and procedures every biennium to determine effectiveness and to implement changes to the program as needed. It is Carroll College’s policy to maintain a drug-free workplace.

Counseling, Treatment, and Rehabilitation Services:

The following are drug or alcohol counseling, treatment, and rehabilitation programs that are available to employees:

  1. Counseling Services provides both counseling and referral services to staff. The counseling staff will provide information and confidential referral to drug and/or alcohol counseling and rehabilitation programs. Counseling Services are located in the lower level of Guadalupe Hall and a division of Student Life.
  2. An Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is also available to benefit-eligible employees through Reliant Behavioral Health (RBH). The EAP is a free, short-term counseling and referral service that can be accessed by calling 1-866-750-1327 or visiting www.MyRBH.com.

Community services include the following:

  1. Alcoholics Anonymous - (406) 443-0438
  2. Friendship Center - (406) 442-6800
  3. Counseling Consortium - (406) 442-3045
  4. Boyd Andrew Community Services - (406) 443-2343
  5. Al Anon - (406) 442-1818
  6. Rocky Mountain Treatment Center, Great Falls, MT - (406) 727-8832
  7. Rimrock Foundation, Billings, MT - (406) 248-3175

Carroll Campus Security and Crime Statistic Info

To learn more about campus security and crime statistics, check out our Consumer Information Right to Know area.