Courses and Student Learning Objectives
Through a blend of math, computer science, data, philosophy, and physics courses, our data science students will be prepared to:
- Use mathematics, statistics, data analysis, and computer science to solve and analyze real-world data science problems.
- Demonstrate the ability to: create and use computer programs to solve real-world problems, apply data science tools in a variety of contexts, create models using appropriate statistical methods, and analyze statistical and computational models in applied settings.
- Communicate their data science work in a clear and effective manner.
- Demonstrate the ability to solve mathematical, statistical, data science, and computational problems using appropriate technology.
To earn a Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in data science, a student must earn a grade of “C-” or better in all required courses. A lesser grade in any of these courses must be replaced before the Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in data science will be granted. In addition, lesser grades in any of these courses preclude taking subsequent courses for which the deficient courses are prerequisite.
Professional Educational Outcomes
The professional educational objectives of the Data Science program are to produce graduates who have:
- The specialized knowledge and skills necessary for initiation into their chosen profession;
- A broad range of skills necessary for effective communication;
- An appreciation for the interrelationships among the branches of knowledge; and
- The ethical, social, and aesthetic perspectives necessary for value-based judgment and decision making.
During the first year pilot of our Data Science program, we already had three students placed into machine learning, data science, and forecasting internships.
According to glassdoor.com, data scientist was the #1 best job in America in 2018.
According to the 2017 Emerging Jobs Report compiled by LinkedIn, data scientist jobs have grown by more than 650 percent since 2012. A survey showed the average salary for a well-trained data scientist is $121,000.
Frequently Asked Questions